Answers: Broadway Musical Geography Quiz
We had many readers participate in the Broadway Musical Geography Quiz. One question in particular stumped many of you (see below), but most of you came within one or two questions of getting all the answers correct. Congratulations to Cheryl Sebrell, the first person to get all 40. She doggedly persevered until she figured out the pitfalls. For her efforts, she will receive an autographed CD of Anastasia, courtesy of Broadway Records.
- What is the official residence of Professor Henry Higgins?
27 A Wimpole Street, London
- In what European city would you check-into the Grand Hotel and possibly run into Otto Kringelein?
- The Kit Kat Club is a seedy cabaret in what city?
- Lady Larkin is encouraged to run away to this French Province?
- In The King and I, what country is Tuptim a gift from?
- In Me and My Girl, the Duchess invites the crème-de-la-creme of society to weekend at her family manse in this English county town?
Hareford Hall in Hampshire
- In what town and state might you find Kim MacAfee and Hugo Peabody?
Sweet Apple, Ohio
- What mystical town might appear while you are visiting the Highlands of Scotland?
- In the Broadway production of Chess, the tournaments are held in these two cities?
Stumped a lot of people on this one. The original script for Chess would have made this answer Merano, Italy and Bangkok, Thailand. However, the question asked for the BROADWAY production, where the script was rewritten by Richard Nelson to be a more book-heavy musical. Bangkok, Thailand was retained, but Budapest, Hungary replaced Merano.
- In Company, April the stewardess needs to fly to this city after her overnight stay with Bobby?
- In The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas, Ms. Mona tells us the story of how she hailed from this Texas town?
- Ruth and Eileen Sherwood move to NYC from this state?
- What street is Dolly Levi excited to return to the lights of?
- Finian McLonergan wants a piece of land in this fictional town, in this fictional state?
Rainbow Valley, Missitucky
- What city does Eva Peron announce that she will take by storm?
- Auntie Mame resides at this address?
3 Beekman Place
- In Nick & Nora, characters visit this nightclub for the show’s climax?
The Big Tamboo
- In South Pacific, this tropical island is the desired location of Luther Billis?
- In Pippin, the title character kills his father in a temple in this French city?
- In Lost in the Stars, the characters sing about a train to this city?
- The French Riviera is the destination of an American Soap Queen in this musical?
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
- What city is the departure point for the train in the opening number of The Music Man?
- In what Iowa county would you find Francesca Johnson having an affair with a photographer?
- If you are a guy taking a doll for a trip where she orders a dulce de leche, you'd probably fly to this city, in this country?
- Mabel Normand worked in a deli in this Brooklyn neighborhood?
- Millie Dilmount hailed from this Midwestern city and state?
- This San Francisco, Chinatown thoroughfare is celebrated in Flower Drum Song?
- In The Sound of Music, the Von Trapp Family Singers perform at a festival in this town?
- Sweeney Todd was imprisoned at a penal colony at this location (name of the colony and country)?
Botany Bay, Australia
- Sally Adams was the US Ambassador to this fictional country?
- John Wilkes Booth approaches Lee Harvey Oswald at the book depository in this Texas city?
- Velma Kelly “offed” her husband in this Illinois city?
- Shoeless Joe's hometown:
- The city where June finally abandons her relentless stage mother:
Omaha, Nebraska (The Imelda Staunton version changed the city, but in the script, it is Omaha.
- In 1902, Father built a house at the crest of the Broadview Avenue hill in this town?
- Here’s Love is a musical adapted from a film about this famous New York City street?
- This hamlet is the beloved home of Tevye and his family?
- Come From Away is set in this small town, in this Canadian province?
- Act One of the musical Sunday in the Park with George is predominantly set on this island?
La Grande Jatte
- Finally, Candide is always in search of this idealistic locale?
I would have accepted either El Dorado or “The Best of All Possible Worlds”